Monday 26 December 2011

Identifying Organizational Intellectual Capital Resources and Putting it to Use

As at this point in the course, we had gone midway and was at the most difficult part of the course. This was based on chapters 2 and 3 of the main textbook which gave us a total of over 60 pages. It was a breaking experience as my instructor asked specifically that we should follow the step-by-step presentation as was done in the main textbook to produce power-point presentation that would produce an intellectual capital statement for any organization of our choice.

Naturally, I choose to continue with the use of NOUN no matter how difficult it would be and at the end, I found it very very rewarding. I must also confess that at this point, my office work began to interfere and my health also went to a low ebb. I actually asked for a week of grace in order to do a good work. I read the main textbook over and over again to see all the nuances involved in the task. At the end, I was able to get a clue to use. I must also confess that I was not good at figures but I determined not to allow anybody to help me do the work. I was glad that I did the work by myself and that it was also successful.

The following steps were followed:

Step 1: Creating a resource distinction tree (this would give a view of the institution's resource portfolio)
Step 2: Giving value judgement on the resources
Step 3: Creating the Intellectual Capital Navigator (ICN) to help identify, map and evaluate the institution's deployment of resources to create value.
Step 4: Producing the Normalized and Cleaned Transformation Matrix
Step 5: Creating the Effector Plot.

All these were done using NOUN as the organization and the assignment was completed in a total of 25 slides.

That the presentation would be done over Skype was a new and interesting experience for me. I was able to discuss with my instructor by voice (instead of texts that has been the medium of instruction since the commencement of the course) and I think it was worth the experience. My grade also was very motivating. Below is the link to the power-point presentation:

Power-point Presentation on NOUN's ICN

In this section, I came to know about all the terms that are listed above (as they were unknown to me before coming to this course) such as, the resource distinction tree, the intellectual capital navigator and the transformation matrix that grew out of the intellectual capital navigator. I did not only come to know what they mean, I also got to know how to create them. The following are the problems I encountered at this point:

As a person, I am not good in using figures and statistics. I also need to gather information from the head office and other staff in order to do proper weighting of the elements of the resource distinction tree. After the weighting of the RDT, I needed to study how the transformation matrix was created from the ICN. It took me a lot of time before I can get how the figures were calculated to also from the matrix and the cleaned matrix and also to that of the effector plot. I must also confess that on the first trial of the matrix, I got my calculations wrong and I did not know until when the effector plot added up to 114 instead of 100. I had to go back to the matrix to begin my calculations all over again before I got to the ones that were wrong and I corrected them and the effector plot added up to the correct figure.

I also had problems drawing tables and the matrices on the power-point slides, so I had to enter the table on the Microsoft Word and then copied it to the power-point from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment